What is Mulch?
Mulch is a protective cover placed over the soil, primarily to modify the effects of the local climate. A wide variety of natural and synthetic materials are used. Shredded wood used as mulch. This type of mulch is often dyed to improve its appearance in the landscape.
Mulch has a variety of purposes:
- To control weeds by blocking the sunlight necessary for germination
- To retain water by slowing evaporation
- To add organic matter and nutrients to the soil through the gradual breakdown of the mulch material
- To repel insects
- To incrementally improve growing conditions by reflecting sunlight upwards to the plants, and by providing a clean, dry surface for ground-lying fruit such as squash and melons.
- For erosion control - protects soil from rain and preserves moisture • for sediment control - slows runoff velocity
Why Do You Need Mulch?
Mulching is an important part of any no-dig gardening regime, such as practiced within permaculture systems. Mulch is usually applied towards the beginning of the growing season, and may be reapplied as necessary. It serves initially to warm the soil by helping it retain heat. This allows early seeding and transplanting of certain crops, and encourages faster growth. As the season progresses, the mulch stabilizes temperature and moisture, and prevents sunlight from germinating weed seed.
How We Handle Mulching
As mulching can be applied at any time during the year, we recommend you have it applied during the Spring, Summer or Fall Months (see our Landscaping Recommendations Calendar). We begin by removing all sod and old mulch in designated areas. We ensure clean lines of these areas by hand spade edging all beds. Once the beds are clean, we apply specified mulch to beds. We recommend a 2-4” deep application. We ensure that all plants have sufficient room to breathe, therefore we do not cover plants or trees to far up the base. If mulch is applied to high on the base is can cause Root Collar Disease. The mulch we mainly sell and use is a Premium Triple Shredded Bark Mulch. This mulch comes in a variety of colors (Black, Brown, and Red). If requested, we can use any other type of mulch you would like.
How Much Do You Need?
Call us and we will visit your property and provide a free estimate. Our Professional Staff can give you an estimated amount of mulch and cost for the service.